Thursday, November 3, 2011

Wok-Seared Spicy Calamari Salad

Tonight's dish is Wok-Seared Spicy Calamari Salad. My mom is on a diet for my brother's wedding (Go Mom!), so I picked the calamari salad for her. Plus, I love calamari and I've never cooked it before. This dish is from Amanda Hesser's The Essential New York Times Cookbook.  This looked like a relatively simple recipe compared to some of my other endeavors, so I was hopeful for a good outcome!

                            Wok-Seared Spicy Calamari Salad
The Ingredients...
  •  1 pound cleaned calamari, sliced into thin rings, tentacles included
  • 20 roasted salted cashews, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon mint leaves
  • 2 to 4 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 4 cups baby arugula (or tatsoi, or other spicy greens)
  • 1 endive, cored and slivered
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (two limes)
Directions...
  1. Place the calamari in a bowl, add the cashews, cilantro, mint, and Sriracha to taste, and toss. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
  2. Mix the greens and endive and divide among four shallow bowls.
  3. Place a wok or large skilled over high heat and add the oil. When it is smoking hot, add the calamari and seasonings and stir-fry about 20 seconds, until the calamari rings start to turn opaque. Add the lime juice, toss, and remove from the heat. Taste the sauce and adjust the salt and Sriracha if necessary. Pour the mixture over the greens.
The Results...
Very pleased with this dish for several reason. First, it was delicious! My mom really liked it. The flavor was really good, a perfect amount of spicy flavor. This is a dish that tastes great and doesn't make you feel guilty afterwards... which is always nice.  Second, very easy to make and easy to clean up! I only used my wok to cook this dish so I was very happy not to deal  with the usual 3+ pots/pans to clean. The most time intensive part of this dish is slicing the calamari and chopping the other ingredients. Third, squid is cheaper than I thought! I bought the squid fresh at a Whole Foods and it only cost about $7.00. Half as cheap as a pound of cod.

The Verdict...
Make this dish if you love spices and calamari!

No comments:

Post a Comment